RIGBY, Idaho (AP) — Authorities say bone fragments likely belonging to a 3-year-old boy who died in a 1981 boating accident have been recovered from a canal in Idaho.
Crews searched the Great Feeder Canal after the finding of a bone there that doctors identified as belonging to a young boy. The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office says water resource managers reduced flows in the Upper Snake River on Thursday and Friday to help with the search.
Authorities tell the Capital Press that the 1981 boating accident involved four adults and 5- and 3-year-old brothers. The brothers drowned, and the 5-year-old’s body was recovered six weeks later.
Officials say DNA testing on the bone fragments hasn’t been completed.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Texas thrusts itself into the center of battles over personal freedom, starting with abortion and sodomy
- After a Black man is killed by police, a city cancels its July 4 celebration
- One woman dominated a local fair's food contest. The internet went looking for her
- Jan. 6 witness Anthony Ornato is at the center of a battle over credibility
- University defends Justice Thomas' teaching position amid calls for removal