AKRON, Ohio (AP) — A judge has set bond at $7 million for an Ohio man accused of setting a fire that killed seven of his neighbors, including five children.
Fifty-eight-year-old Stanley Ford was initially denied bond initially, but that changed after his lawyer argued on Thursday that Ford is married with two kids and hasn’t been convicted.
Ford is charged with one count of arson and seven counts of murder.
Ford has pleaded not guilty. Charges could be amended so that he faces the death penalty.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Jan. 6 witness Anthony Ornato is at the center of a battle over credibility
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- The 20-somethings who help the 70-somethings run Washington
- An excavation in the sea depths recovers Hercules from the afterlife
- Texas thrusts itself into the center of battles over personal freedom, starting with abortion and sodomy
Ford is accused of setting a house fire on May 15 that killed a couple and five children in Akron. Investigators aren’t discussing a possible motive or what led them to Ford.
He is next due for arraignment on June 9.