IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (AP) — A Boise Democrat will challenge Republican U.S. Rep. Mike Simpson for Idaho’s 2nd Congressional District in 2018.
The Post Register reports that Aaron Swisher announced Saturday he plans on challenging the GOP incumbent in the upcoming election. Swisher — an economist who works at Clarivate Analytics — is currently the only Democratic candidate running for the seat.
Swisher says he views income-inequality as America’s biggest problem.
The 66-year-old Simpson was first elected to Congress in 1998 and has easily defeated his Democratic opponents in previous elections.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Complaint in Closs case could be road map for prosecution WATCH
- UK's May faces no-confidence vote after Brexit plan crushed WATCH
- 2nd man dies at California home of Democratic party donor
- Trump invokes one of the worst Native American massacres to mock Elizabeth Warren
- At Trump’s inauguration, $10,000 for makeup and lots of room service VIEW
Simpson campaign spokesman Luke Kilcup says Swisher’s decision to enter the race doesn’t change the focus of their campaign.
Information from: Post Register, http://www.postregister.com