IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (AP) — A Boise Democrat will challenge Republican U.S. Rep. Mike Simpson for Idaho’s 2nd Congressional District in 2018.
The Post Register reports that Aaron Swisher announced Saturday he plans on challenging the GOP incumbent in the upcoming election. Swisher — an economist who works at Clarivate Analytics — is currently the only Democratic candidate running for the seat.
Swisher says he views income-inequality as America’s biggest problem.
The 66-year-old Simpson was first elected to Congress in 1998 and has easily defeated his Democratic opponents in previous elections.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A cure for Type 1 diabetes? For one man, it seems to have worked
- The best time to get a COVID booster shot: What the science tells us
- Firefighters launch tense rescue after pet tortoise traps pet dog in underground burrow
- Celebrated snowboarder Marko Grilc, 38, dies in accident at resort
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Simpson campaign spokesman Luke Kilcup says Swisher’s decision to enter the race doesn’t change the focus of their campaign.
Information from: Post Register, http://www.postregister.com