IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (AP) — A Boise Democrat will challenge Republican U.S. Rep. Mike Simpson for Idaho’s 2nd Congressional District in 2018.
The Post Register reports that Aaron Swisher announced Saturday he plans on challenging the GOP incumbent in the upcoming election. Swisher — an economist who works at Clarivate Analytics — is currently the only Democratic candidate running for the seat.
Swisher says he views income-inequality as America’s biggest problem.
The 66-year-old Simpson was first elected to Congress in 1998 and has easily defeated his Democratic opponents in previous elections.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- France strikes back against Trump, emphasizing a lack of 'common decency'
- Guard troops search for more wildfire victims; 56 dead WATCH
- Shot in the neck at 17, this is the trauma surgeon now leading doctors against gun violence and NRA
- Police think Alexa may have witnessed a double slaying — now they want Amazon to turn her over
Simpson campaign spokesman Luke Kilcup says Swisher’s decision to enter the race doesn’t change the focus of their campaign.
Information from: Post Register, http://www.postregister.com