FORT COLLINS, Colo. (AP) — Body camera footage from a fatal officer-involved shooting shows police asked 19-year-old Jeremy Holmes to drop the knife he was holding more than 40 times before firing at him on July 1 near the Colorado State University campus in Fort Collins.
The Coloradoan reported Tuesday that after multiple attempts to defuse the situation, Holmes charged at an officer who was reaching for a stun gun, prompting two officers to fire at him.
Holmes can be heard in the video telling police he won’t drop the knife and that he wants to die.
Holmes’ fatal shooting marks the first time Colorado State University police has released body-worn camera footage from a shooting involving one of its officers. The department completed a pilot program testing the use of body-worn cameras last summer.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The fabulously wealthy are fueling a booming luxury ranch market out West
- In America's fastest-growing metro, a rising fear water will run out
- 6 drastic plans Trump is already promising for a second term
- The coming California megastorm
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Information from: Fort Collins Coloradoan, http://www.coloradoan.com