BOSTON (AP) — Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s charitable foundation has made the largest gift ever to Boston’s Museum of Science.
The $50 million gift from Bloomberg Philanthropies announced on Tuesday will endow the museum’s educational division, which will be named the William and Charlotte Bloomberg Science Education Center in honor of the billionaire’s parents.
Bloomberg grew up in nearby Medford and for years took classes at the science museum on Saturday mornings.
The 74-year-old Bloomberg called his childhood experiences at the museum life-changing. In a statement posted to the museum’s website, he said he understood firsthand how important an impact it can have on young people.
Most Read Stories
- Seattle hits record high for income inequality, now rivals San Francisco
- Anthony Bourdain brought 'Parts Unknown' to Seattle — here's where he ate
- A Washington county that went for Trump is shaken as immigrant neighbors start disappearing VIEW
- Seattle-Dublin nonstop flights to begin in May 2018
- Seattle’s crazy restaurant boom | PNW Magazine VIEW
Bloomberg founded a global financial data and media company and served three terms as mayor of New York.