NEW YORK (AP) — Is Opus the Penguin back after a quarter-century?
In any case, the popular cartoon character from “Bloom County” has made an unexpected comeback in a comic strip posted Monday on Facebook by creator Berkeley Breathed. In the strip, Opus awakens after what he discovers was a 25-year nap.
Separately, a posted photo of Breathed shows him at his computer with the caption “A return after 25 years. Feels like going home.”
Left unsaid: Whether the revival is a one-off, or, instead, “Bloom County” is back for an indefinite stay.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Man who shot video of fatal Capitol shooting is arrested, remains focus of political storm
- Far-right personality 'Baked Alaska' arrested in riot probe
- Virginia man arrested at inauguration security checkpoint says he was lost and didn't mean to bring his gun and ammunition to the District
- Vaccine reserve was already exhausted when Trump administration vowed to release it, dashing hopes of expanded access
The whimsical strip, which viewed politics and culture through the lens of a small town in Middle America, began in 1980, appearing in newspapers daily. But in 1989, Breathed called a halt until now — at least, for one day.