Sage, a blind Labrador Retriever lost in the steep terrain of California's Santa Cruz mountains for more than a week, is back home after being carried to safety on the shoulders of a neighbor.
BOULDER CREEK, Calif. — A blind Labrador Retriever lost in the thick woods and steep terrain of California’s Santa Cruz mountains was missing for more than a week before she was found last week.
KCBS reports the dog named Sage is now back home and OK after a neighbor discovered her lying in a shallow stream.
Her owner Beth Cole says the family mistakenly thought Sage had been brought into the house on Feb. 24.
About an hour later, they realized she was outside and gone. Stories of Sage’s disappearance spread and a professional dog tracker could not find her.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Archie Battersbee, gravely ill 12-year-old, dies after removal of life support
- Key Washington primary 2022 election results
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Everyone loves e-bikes - except some who have to share roads with them
- ID theft, fraud, prison: The wild life of a bishop robbed at the pulpit
A neighbor walking in the woods finally spotted Sage and carried her on his back about 100 yards up a canyon to safety.
The 12-year-old Sage lost her sight because of glaucoma.
Information from: KCBS-AM.