NEW DELHI (AP) — An explosion in a mosque of a minority Muslim sect on Friday killed a suspected bomber and wounded three other people in Bangladesh’s northwest, police said.
The blast appeared to be a suicide attack by a young man during Friday’s weekly prayer in the mosque in Bagmara area in Rajshahi district, 240 kilometers ( 150 miles) northwest of the capital, Dhaka, said local police chief Motiar Rahman.
The minority Ahmadiya sect appeared to be the target of the attack, he said.
Rahman said that the villagers couldn’t recognize the dead as he appeared to have come from elsewhere.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Woman gets pregnant while already pregnant, gives birth to twins conceived 3 weeks apart
- Philip, defined by role of husband to British queen, dies
- J&J COVID vaccine reviewed by EU regulator after blood clots
- The era of overzealous coronavirus cleaning can finally end
- A possible QAnon slip-up suggests the truth of Q's identity was right there all along
Bangladesh has some 100,000 Ahmadiyas among its 160 million people in a Sunni-majority nation.