NORFOLK, Va. (AP) — Black ice on roadways has resulted in a slew of car accidents in Virginia as wintry conditions have caused numerous headaches for commuters.
The Virginian-Pilot reports that traffic accidents have caused morning delays all across the Hampton Roads area. At least 10 crashes have been reported in Virginia Beach, many of them blamed on black ice.
Norfolk police have reported one fatal crash about dawn Tuesday, closing all southbound and northbound lanes of Tidewater Drive.
A tractor-trailer also overturned on the I-264 in Portsmouth, closing lanes in one swath of the highway impacted by other road accidents.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- France strikes back against Trump, emphasizing a lack of 'common decency'
- Guard troops search for more wildfire victims; 56 dead WATCH
- Shot in the neck at 17, this is the trauma surgeon now leading doctors against gun violence and NRA
- Migrant caravan groups arrive by hundreds at US border VIEW
Forecaster Larry Brown tells the newspaper that local temperatures hovered around freezing at dawn.
Information from: The Virginian-Pilot, http://pilotonline.com