FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — A black bear crawled inside a trash compactor and took the ride of its life on a garbage truck, traveling about 65 miles to a dump in central California where it briefly ran free.
Fresno officers went to a disposal site Tuesday after getting a report of a large bear running loose. The bear got into a trash compactor that was picked up by a disposal truck in the Hume Lake area earlier in the day.
The driver wasn’t aware that the bear was inside the compactor. Officials say it was either sleeping there or rifling through the trash.
Police and California Department of Fish and Wildlife employees eventually captured the animal after tranquilizing it. Neither the bear nor any people were injured.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Biden splits from Trudeau, extending travel curbs at U.S.-Canada land border
- 16 days to die at Pearl Harbor: Families weren't told about sailors trapped inside sunken battleship
- Trans model makes Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover history: 'If you don't like it, you can go somewhere else'
- A Grizzly Bear Terrorized a Man for Days in Alaska. The Coast Guard Saw His SOS.
- Should vaccinated people start wearing masks again?
The bear is being returned to Hume Lake.