KALISPELL, Mont. (AP) — Wildlife officials say a black bear attacked and injured an elderly woman near her home in northwestern Montana.
State Fish, Wildlife and Parks says the woman was taken to the hospital after the attack Sunday afternoon west of Kalispell. The extent of her injuries was not immediately known.
The department is investigating, and officials were trying to capture the bear early Monday.
Bear activity has increased in recent weeks as the animals prepare for hibernation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Luxury cars, MAGA flags and Facebook invites: How an unknown Idaho family organized the Portland rally that turned deadly
- 2 Louisville officers shot amid Breonna Taylor protests VIEW
- Massive genetic study shows coronavirus mutating and potentially evolving amid rapid U.S. spread
- How to create a pandemic pod for safe social interaction
- US experts vow ‘no cutting corners’ as vaccine tests expand VIEW