KALISPELL, Mont. (AP) — Wildlife officials say a black bear attacked and injured an elderly woman near her home in northwestern Montana.
State Fish, Wildlife and Parks says the woman was taken to the hospital after the attack Sunday afternoon west of Kalispell. The extent of her injuries was not immediately known.
The department is investigating, and officials were trying to capture the bear early Monday.
Bear activity has increased in recent weeks as the animals prepare for hibernation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Can you have alcohol after the COVID vaccine?
- After leading a 153-person hike in the Grand Canyon, a Washington health-care exec faces federal charges
- Mom who gave birth on flight didn't know she was pregnant
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Why the world's most vaccinated country is seeing an unprecedented spike in coronavirus cases