KALISPELL, Mont. (AP) — Wildlife officials say a black bear attacked and injured an elderly woman near her home in northwestern Montana.
State Fish, Wildlife and Parks says the woman was taken to the hospital after the attack Sunday afternoon west of Kalispell. The extent of her injuries was not immediately known.
The department is investigating, and officials were trying to capture the bear early Monday.
Bear activity has increased in recent weeks as the animals prepare for hibernation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- FBI warned of large-scale nationwide protests by Trump supporters, but they fail to materialize
- Man lived inside Chicago's O’Hare airport for 3 months before detection, prosecutors say
- Trump prepares to offer clemency to more than 100 people in final hours in office
- Misinformation dropped dramatically the week after Twitter banned Trump
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events