WELLFLEET, Mass. (AP) — A shark conservation group says two thresher sharks that washed up on the Cape Cod shore likely fell victim to the bitter cold.
A statement from the Atlantic White Shark Conservancy says the sharks were discovered Wednesday in Orleans and Wellfleet. Officials believe they succumbed to cold shock.
The conservancy’s program director, Michelle Wcisel, tells the Boston Globe that both sharks were about 14 feet long.
State and federal officials also responded to help collect organ and tissues samples.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Witness describes death plunge of two Yosemite climbers
- Sally Hemings gets her due at Monticello
- Gunfire erupts at New Jersey arts festival; 22 wounded VIEW
- Staff cuts at federal prisons have teachers, nurses guarding inmates
- 'Unfair and unconstitutional': Outrage over detained migrant children intensifies