TULSA, Okla. — A paper cup allegedly used by Elvis Presley six decades ago in Oklahoma is up for auction, and bids have already surpassed $1,200.
North Carolina resident Wade Jones is a collector of all things Elvis. He tells the Tulsa World that the crumpled blue-and-white Dixie cup was snagged by a fan in April 1956, after Elvis performed at the Tulsa Fairgrounds Pavilion.
Jones says a fan named June allegedly retrieved the cup the day after the performance, right before Elvis left town for a show in Oklahoma City. A letter accompanying the collector’s item says June had asked to keep the cup “as a little memento.”
Bids for the now-yellowed paper cup had surpassed $1,280 on eBay by mid-day Wednesday. Jones says the auction closes Sunday evening.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Family of Pat Tillman angry at military
- The girl in the Kent State photo and the lifelong burden of being a national symbol
- Police pulled over Michigan lawmaker for allegedly driving drunk. He threatened to call the governor.
- Fugitive hid since June in North Carolina store
- ‘A horrendous tragedy’: The chaotic moments before a Black teen is fatally shot in Ohio