LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles police say a man’s thumb was severed after being attacked with a machete as four men tried to steal his bicycle.
Sgt. John Marroquin said the suspects got out of a green sedan and tried to pull the man off his bicycle early Sunday in the Pico-Union neighborhood.
Marroquin told City News Service that when the victim resisted, one of the suspects began hacking at him with a 24-inch machete.
The man’s left thumb was cut off and he suffered lacerations to the left side of his face and hands and cuts to the back of his head.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Wild horses adopted under a federal program are going to slaughter
- Beneath Biden’s folksy demeanor, a short fuse and an obsession with details
- The Gateses’ public split spotlights a secretive fortune, with a hush-hush Kirkland entity at the center
- Why is COVID-19 killing so many young children in Brazil? Doctors are baffled
- Some aren't ready to give up masks despite new CDC guidance
Marroquin said the victim was taken to a hospital, where he was listed in critical but stable condition.
He said the suspects drove away without the bike.