LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles police say a man’s thumb was severed after being attacked with a machete as four men tried to steal his bicycle.
Sgt. John Marroquin said the suspects got out of a green sedan and tried to pull the man off his bicycle early Sunday in the Pico-Union neighborhood.
Marroquin told City News Service that when the victim resisted, one of the suspects began hacking at him with a 24-inch machete.
The man’s left thumb was cut off and he suffered lacerations to the left side of his face and hands and cuts to the back of his head.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The $3,000-a-month toilet for the Ivanka Trump/Jared Kushner Secret Service detail
- Vaccine reserve was already exhausted when Trump administration vowed to release it, dashing hopes of expanded access
- 'QAnon Shaman's' note to Pence cited as evidence of 'assassination' plot before prosecutors walk back claim
- EXPLAINER: What's next after House impeachment vote
- Trump opens habitat of northern spotted owl to timber harvesting
Marroquin said the victim was taken to a hospital, where he was listed in critical but stable condition.
He said the suspects drove away without the bike.