LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles police say a man’s thumb was severed after being attacked with a machete as four men tried to steal his bicycle.
Sgt. John Marroquin said the suspects got out of a green sedan and tried to pull the man off his bicycle early Sunday in the Pico-Union neighborhood.
Marroquin told City News Service that when the victim resisted, one of the suspects began hacking at him with a 24-inch machete.
The man’s left thumb was cut off and he suffered lacerations to the left side of his face and hands and cuts to the back of his head.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A heart-stopping moment: How a mild case of COVID changed this man's life
- Ted Cruz called an Australian vaccine mandate 'tyranny.' Then came the stinging response
- Moderna vs. Pfizer: Both knockouts, but one seems to have the edge
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Rachel Levine, openly transgender health official, to be sworn in as four-star admiral
Marroquin said the victim was taken to a hospital, where he was listed in critical but stable condition.
He said the suspects drove away without the bike.