LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles police say a man’s thumb was severed after being attacked with a machete as four men tried to steal his bicycle.
Sgt. John Marroquin said the suspects got out of a green sedan and tried to pull the man off his bicycle early Sunday in the Pico-Union neighborhood.
Marroquin told City News Service that when the victim resisted, one of the suspects began hacking at him with a 24-inch machete.
The man’s left thumb was cut off and he suffered lacerations to the left side of his face and hands and cuts to the back of his head.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Luxury cars, MAGA flags and Facebook invites: How an unknown Idaho family organized the Portland rally that turned deadly
- Police officers not charged for killing Breonna Taylor VIEW
- N95 masks save lives. So why are they still hard to get this far into a pandemic?
- How to create a pandemic pod for safe social interaction
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Marroquin said the victim was taken to a hospital, where he was listed in critical but stable condition.
He said the suspects drove away without the bike.