KIRKWOOD, N.Y. (AP) — A black bear spotted for weeks in rural New York state with his head trapped in a plastic food jug has been rescued from his plight.
State wildlife officers near Binghamton received a call April 24 from a woman who said a black bear with a bucket stuck on its head was in her yard. Other residents reported seeing the same bear.
State wildlife biologists captured three bears in traps over the next weeks but none was what had been dubbed the “bucket head” bear.
A homeowner called the Department of Environmental Conservation’s Kirkwood office after spotting the bear, and wildlife biologists tracked it to a nearby property May 19. They tranquilized the animal, removed the container from its head, and later released it into woods.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- The revolt of the Christian home-schoolers VIEW
- Family's Alaska fishing trip becomes nightmare with 3 dead and search over for 2 more
- Liz Cheney vows to stop Trump's 3rd White House bid
- What happened when a Brooklyn neighborhood policed itself for five days VIEW