STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) — A basement fire blamed on a heater has damaged a two-family Connecticut home and has displaced the residents.
The fire was reported at the Stamford home on Sunday night, when the temperature was below freezing.
Firefighters say the three-story wood frame duplex had working smoke detectors and all the home’s occupants had escaped by the time they arrived. Firefighters brought the fire under control within an hour.
The fire marshal says an electric space heater in a basement bedroom caused the fire.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade; states can ban abortion
- Supreme Court expands gun rights, with nation divided
- Government to cancel $6 billion in student loans for defrauded borrowers
- He stole a patrol vehicle, officials say — then responded to an emergency
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Nine occupants of the home have been relocated by the American Red Cross.