BALTIMORE (AP) — Baltimore’s monthly homicide count is reaching a historic high for a second time this year.
Police reported a fatal shooting Wednesday night, bringing Baltimore to 42 homicides so far in July. That matches the number of slayings recorded in May, which was the deadliest month since August 1990, when the city recorded 42 homicides, according to the Baltimore Sun.
There were 29 slaying in June, but the pace picked up again in July. Police say there have been 186 homicides in Baltimore so far this year. That’s a nearly 60 percent increase over the same time last year.
The number of homicides and shootings spiked after unrest sparked by the death of Freddie Gray, a black man who suffered a fatal spinal cord injury while in police custody in April.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Everyone’s going to Hawaii, and the resorts aren’t ready
- Hacker known as Max is 55-year-old woman from Russia, U.S. says
- Camper shoots Idaho family's dog after mistaking her for a wolf
- Trump executive may face criminal charges this summer
- Spray paint, soiled carpets, dead cats: Evicted tenant allegedly turned Colorado Springs home into 'slice of hell'