BALTIMORE (AP) — The Baltimore police have arrested a suspect in the fatal stabbing of a transgender woman last July.
Interim Police Commissioner Kevin Davis announced Thursday that 44-year-old Shawn Oliver has been arrested and charged with the murder of 26-year-old Mia Henderson, who was found stabbed to death July 16, 2014.
Davis said police were able to identify Oliver from DNA extracted from under Henderson’s fingernails.
“Mia fought back, and thank God she fought back,” Davis said.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Washington state extremist pays a price after unmasking by left
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Canada eases border rules for its citizens and residents
- Scorching hot in Phoenix: What it’s like to work in 115 degrees
- They put up a Pride flag. A homeowners group said take it down
Davis said Oliver was already behind bars when he was charged with killing Henderson. Davis said the case is still under investigation to see if hate crime charges are warranted.
Henderson’s body was found five weeks after another transgender woman, 40-year-old Kandy Hall, was found dead. Her death was ruled a homicide.