BALTIMORE (AP) — Baltimore police are identifying an armed youth shot in the leg earlier this week by a police officer as well as the police officer who shot the teen.
Police on Saturday identified the officer as 30-year-old Charles Smith, who began his career with the Baltimore Police Department in 2012. Police also said that the youth who was shot, 17-year-old Daishawn Rogers, has been charged as an adult with handgun offenses.
Detective Donny Moses said previously that police were called to investigate the shooting of a soft-drink delivery man and were investigating that incident when they responded to gunfire a couple blocks away.
Moses said officers chased two male subjects, both armed, and that juvenile was shot after refusing to drop his gun.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- 2 women busted for trying to use a $1M bill — at a Dollar General store
- Image of Queen Elizabeth II sitting alone at Philip's funeral breaks hearts around the world
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Beloved N.C. teacher's double life revealed after he dies in cartel robbery, sheriff says
- Armed 'quick reaction force' was waiting for order to storm Capitol, Justice Dept. says