MARCO ISLAND, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a bald eagle has been found dead near a Florida golf course.
The Naples Daily News reports that the bird’s body was discovered Tuesday evening near the Island Country Club on Marco Island.
Marco Eagle Sanctuary Foundation founder Carl Way says the eagle appears to be male. He says the bird isn’t from the Marco Island Nature Reserve, where the two adults and two babies that live there were determined to be alive and well.
Police say there were no gunshot wounds on the bird. Initial X-rays suggest the eagle died from impact trauma and internal bleeding.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Alec Baldwin wonders whether Trump's 'SNL' attack poses 'a threat to my safety'
- Obama quietly gives advice to 2020 Democrats, but no endorsement
- Coalition of states sues Trump over national-emergency declaration to build border wall
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission took possession of the eagle’s body and will determine a cause of death.
Information from: Naples (Fla.) Daily News, http://www.naplesnews.com