MARCO ISLAND, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a bald eagle has been found dead near a Florida golf course.
The Naples Daily News reports that the bird’s body was discovered Tuesday evening near the Island Country Club on Marco Island.
Marco Eagle Sanctuary Foundation founder Carl Way says the eagle appears to be male. He says the bird isn’t from the Marco Island Nature Reserve, where the two adults and two babies that live there were determined to be alive and well.
Police say there were no gunshot wounds on the bird. Initial X-rays suggest the eagle died from impact trauma and internal bleeding.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- John Cynn claims World Series of Poker title, wins $8.8M VIEW
- Pussy Riot upstages Putin with protest that halts World Cup VIEW
- Arizona man arrested after trying to pull over troopers
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission took possession of the eagle’s body and will determine a cause of death.
Information from: Naples (Fla.) Daily News, http://www.naplesnews.com