NEW BERN, N.C. (AP) — A Fort Bragg soldier charged with kidnapping a 12-year-old girl from her North Carolina home is being held on $750,000 bail.
Craven County Sheriff’s Office senior investigator Brian Peluso tells The Fayetteville Observer that bail was set for Pvt. 2nd Class James Peele at an appearance Tuesday.
The 19-year-old from Chesterfield, South Carolina, is charged with kidnapping, burglary and statutory rape. His next court date is Friday.
The sheriff’s office said the girl’s grandmother awoke Sunday to discover the girl missing and a ransom note on her bed. Investigators noted that Peele and the girl were Facebook friends and tracked them to Fort Bragg. Peele was arrested and the girl was reunited with her grandmother that night.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Space station discarded some trash. It rained fire in California's sky WATCH
- Ship owned by U.S. Navy tips over at Edinburgh port, injuring dozens
- Idaho hospital to stop delivering babies, partly due to 'political climate'
- 2 people dig out of jail with toothbrush, get caught at IHOP, officials say
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Peele’s attorney didn’t immediately return a call from The Associated Press seeking comment.