NEW BERN, N.C. (AP) — A Fort Bragg soldier charged with kidnapping a 12-year-old girl from her North Carolina home is being held on $750,000 bail.
Craven County Sheriff’s Office senior investigator Brian Peluso tells The Fayetteville Observer that bail was set for Pvt. 2nd Class James Peele at an appearance Tuesday.
The 19-year-old from Chesterfield, South Carolina, is charged with kidnapping, burglary and statutory rape. His next court date is Friday.
The sheriff’s office said the girl’s grandmother awoke Sunday to discover the girl missing and a ransom note on her bed. Investigators noted that Peele and the girl were Facebook friends and tracked them to Fort Bragg. Peele was arrested and the girl was reunited with her grandmother that night.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- New research hints at 4 factors that may increase chances of long COVID
- They had COVID-19 once. Then, they got it again.
- Rare eagle seen in Maine, wowing birders, might stay a bit
- Justice Breyer to retire, giving Biden first court pick
- CDC travel warning flags 5 Caribbean destinations as 'very high' risk for COVID-19
Peele’s attorney didn’t immediately return a call from The Associated Press seeking comment.