FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a 67-year-old experienced backpacker who has been hiking the Pacific Crest Trail since March is missing after not showing up for a planned supply stop in California.
The Fresno Bee reports Stephen McGuire of Washington state was last seen May 18 by a fellow hiker who was concerned that McGuire looked tired and was low on food.
The newspaper says McGuire was listed as missing May 23 after he never arrived as planned to pick up new supplies near Mammoth Lakes, California.
Officials say that although McGuire is an experienced hiker, he is unfamiliar with the area, which last week was hit with winter storm conditions at higher elevations of the Sierra Nevada.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A grandma knew she was being scammed, so she decided to swindle the swindler
- Single word sparks crossfire between Supreme Court, NPR and its star reporter Nina Totenberg
- Omicron’s spread could end ‘emergency phase’ of pandemic, world health official says
- An old Virginia plantation, a new owner and a family legacy unveiled
- COVID-19 tests: Different types and when to use them
McGuire has been hiking the Mexico-to-Canada trail northward for two months.