BELTSVILLE, Md. (AP) — Authorities say a baby was found dead in a high school bathroom in a Maryland suburb of Washington.
Citing a Prince George’s County police release, news outlets report a preliminary investigation found the baby had been delivered Wednesday, the same day it was found. A school resource officer at High Point High School was alerted to the body early that morning.
The police release said the “female who delivered the baby” was found at the school and is receiving medical care. WBAL-TV reports that Principal Nicole Isley-Mclure’s letter home to parents indicated that the mother was a student.
Detectives are trying to determine whether the baby was stillborn. An autopsy is planned.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
- Obama quietly gives advice to 2020 Democrats, but no endorsement
- Amid Trump’s crackdown, thousands of asylum-seekers on the border are giving up
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH
No further details were immediately released.