ROANOKE RAPIDS, N.C. (AP) — Authorities say an 18-year-old AWOL Marine charged with killing his grandmother is now suspected in a second North Carolina death.
Halifax County authorities tell media 18-year-old Isaiah Kahleal Evans Caesar was charged Monday with murder in the April 11 death of Roderick Bluesky Mills of Hollister. Investigators say they have evidence linking Caesar to the crime but haven’t elaborated.
Caesar was arrested after the body of 74-year-old Sally Evans was found Friday near Roanoke Rapids. Sheriff Wes Tripp says investigators found Caesar after he used his grandmother’s credit card to rent a hotel room.
Authorities say Caesar has been AWOL from Georgia’s Fort Benning since April 2. Evans’ family says she was trying to get her grandson to return to the Marines.
Most Read Stories
- Snohomish County man has the United States’ first known case of Wuhan coronavirus
- 5 of the Seattle area's most changed neighborhoods: We crunched the data on population, income, jobs
- 'We were before our time': Remembering the fight to change King County's namesake from a slave owner to a civil-rights leader VIEW
- Did the Seahawks make a mistake by letting Richard Sherman go?
- How white families with young children can work to undo racism
It wasn’t known if Caesar had a lawyer.