ROME (AP) — Avalanches and heavy snowfall are wreaking havoc in parts of northern Italy, with one avalanche plowing into a condominium, others forcing roads to close and one reportedly busting through windows in the converted Olympic Village near Turin.
News reports say some staff were forced to leave the Sestriere Olympic Village, which housed athletes during the 2006 Winter Games and is now home to hotels and residences. But the village’s owner, Francesca Milesi, told the ANSA news agency that the village was fine and even accepting guests.
Some of the new arrivals came from a nearby condo that was slammed with an avalanche late Monday. No one was injured, but residents were forced to find other accommodation.
Up to 2 meters (yards) of snow have fallen in some areas.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- John Cynn claims World Series of Poker title, wins $8.8M VIEW
- Pussy Riot upstages Putin with protest that halts World Cup VIEW
- Trump's remarks about changing European culture draw ire WATCH
- Arizona man arrested after trying to pull over troopers