ROME (AP) — Avalanches and heavy snowfall are wreaking havoc in parts of northern Italy, with one avalanche plowing into a condominium, others forcing roads to close and one reportedly busting through windows in the converted Olympic Village near Turin.
News reports say some staff were forced to leave the Sestriere Olympic Village, which housed athletes during the 2006 Winter Games and is now home to hotels and residences. But the village’s owner, Francesca Milesi, told the ANSA news agency that the village was fine and even accepting guests.
Some of the new arrivals came from a nearby condo that was slammed with an avalanche late Monday. No one was injured, but residents were forced to find other accommodation.
Up to 2 meters (yards) of snow have fallen in some areas.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Turkey: 'Atrocious' recording suggests killer used drugs VIEW
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- Sheriff: California wildfire's death toll rises to 48 WATCH
- A reader's guide to 12 Trump administration targets House Democrats are preparing to investigate
- Utility emailed Northern California woman about power-line problems 1 day before fire