QUARTZSITE, Ariz. (AP) — Authorities say a fatal wreck reportedly caused by a wrong-way driver has closed a 14-mile section of westbound Interstate 10 in western Arizona.
Arizona Department of Public Safety spokesman Raul Garcia says the wreck that occurred Saturday about 10 miles (16 kilometers) east of Quartzsite resulted in “several fatalities.”
No additional information is immediately available on circumstances of the wreck.
The Arizona Department of Transportation says a detour will re-route westbound traffic off I-10 onto Vicksburg Road and U.S. 60 before returning to I-10.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Omicron loosens its hold, but 'this is a choose-your-own-adventure story'
- Battle for Warnock’s seat at center of US Senate power struggle once again
- University mistakenly told 58 students they’d won full rides; it’ll pay their tuition anyway
- Sarah Palin, COVID-positive and unvaccinated, again dines at restaurant, flouting New York health measures
- Anthony Fauci is up against more than a virus
ADOT says the detour is expected to remain in place through Saturday afternoon and that drivers should allow for extra travel time.
Eastbound traffic is unaffected.