LILLINGTON, N.C. (AP) — Authorities say a Christmas tree is likely behind a house fire that killed a 68-year-old North Carolina woman.
Harnett County Sheriff Wayne Coats tells local media he thinks that’s what happened Sunday night at a home in Lillington.
Three people escaped the fire at around 10:20 p.m. Christmas Eve, but Sarah Beddingfield wasn’t able to get out. Deputies said that two of the people who escaped suffered burns and one was taken to the hospital.
Authorities say Beddingfield’s husband, Ed, is the pastor of Memorial Baptist Church in Buies Creek.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Texas thrusts itself into the center of battles over personal freedom, starting with abortion and sodomy
- One woman dominated a local fair's food contest. The internet went looking for her
- Men rush to get vasectomies after Roe ruling
- Cruz takes a shot at Elmo the muppet over getting a COVID vaccine
- 2nd visitor in 3 days gored by Yellowstone park bison