COLUMBIANA, Ala. (AP) — Authorities say an Alabama inmate who was exposed to an unknown substance that might have been a street drug has died.
Shelby County Coroner Lina Evans says 38-year-old Christopher Turner and nine other inmates were exposed to the substance Tuesday morning at the Alabama Therapeutic Education Facility, although Turner was the only one who was hospitalized. He died shortly after his hospitalization, around 11:45 a.m.
On Wednesday, Evans told AL.com one of the inmates of the privately owned halfway house reported the substance was “flakka,” a synthetic drug similar to bath salts.
Authorities are awaiting the results of toxicology testing. The Department of Corrections is investigating the incident. Spokesman Bob Horton says he can’t confirm flakka was ingested.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- House condemns Trump 'racist' tweets in extraordinary rebuke VIEW
- Diver stumbles upon a giant jellyfish as big as she is: Watch the video
- Here are the Republicans who broke with their party and other takeaways from the vote on Trump’s language
- Prosecutors want Mexican megachurch leader held without bail VIEW
- Split House votes to condemn Trump’s comments as racist VIEW
The other inmates have been removed from the house for questioning.
Information from: The Birmingham News, http://www.al.com/birminghamnews