VERMILION, Ohio (AP) — Authorities say an 87-year-old Ohio man has been killed after driving into the path of an SUV while cutting grass on a riding lawn mower.
The state Highway Patrol says Whitten Yates was pronounced dead at the scene Friday after being struck in front of his Vermilion Township home in northern Ohio’s Erie County.
The patrol says Yates drove into the path of an SUV driven by a 62-year-old woman while making a turn on Risden Road. Yates was tossed from the mower after being struck.
The woman is a neighbor of Yates, and was treated for minor injuries at the scene.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- They relied on rapid COVID tests to gather safely; now some wish they hadn't
- New sequence of images shows Tonga volcano's devastation
- Cracker Barrel served a cleaning chemical to a customer; now the restaurant must pay him $9.3M
- How to find a quality mask (and avoid counterfeits)
- A hiker went camping despite warnings about severe winter weather. Six rescuers in snowshoes had to save him.
The accident remains under investigation. The patrol says alcohol doesn’t appear to be a factor in the accident.