ABILENE, Kan. (AP) — Authorities say an autopsy has confirmed the identity of a man who is believed to have shot himself during a traffic stop Tuesday in Dickinson County.
Sheriff Gareth Hoffman says in a news release that 43-year-old Sean M. Roberts of Westerville, Ohio, died as a result of the incident.
The Salina Journal reports that the truck Roberts was driving was pulled over on Interstate Highway 70 about two miles west of the Abilene exit.
A deputy had stopped the vehicle for a tag violation, and a shot was fired as the deputy approached it.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Clu Gulager, rugged character actor of film and TV, dies at 93
- Russian men, dying in war, leave many families sad, angry and silent
- Flooding washes away Kentucky coal country stalwarts
Roberts was pronounced dead at the scene. He was the only person in the pickup.
Hoffman told the newspaper that alcohol and illegal drugs were found in the vehicle.
Information from: The Salina (Kan.) Journal, http://www.salina.com