DEPOE BAY, Ore. (AP) — Authorities have identified a man swept out to sea by big waves from a storm at Depoe Bay.
Oregon State Police on Friday identified 46-year-old Jose Alfredo Rodriguez Alvarez swept from shore at about 11:20 a.m. Thursday.
Authorities say Alvarez was living in Newport but was from Mexico. The Mexican Consulate says Alvarez’s family in Mexico has been notified.
The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search and Alvarez is presumed dead.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Amazon dumps NYC headquarters and its promised 25,000 jobs
- Too big to sell: Airbus bids pained adieu to superjumbo A380 VIEW
- Unclaimed $1.5B prize: South Carolina could be big loser too
- Congress OKs border deal; Trump will sign, declare emergency WATCH
- Trump tests presidential power, declares emergency at border WATCH
Witnesses told police that Alvarez went over a sea wall to look at the big waves from a storm. He was then swept off the rocks.