DEPOE BAY, Ore. (AP) — Authorities have identified a man swept out to sea by big waves from a storm at Depoe Bay.
Oregon State Police on Friday identified 46-year-old Jose Alfredo Rodriguez Alvarez swept from shore at about 11:20 a.m. Thursday.
Authorities say Alvarez was living in Newport but was from Mexico. The Mexican Consulate says Alvarez’s family in Mexico has been notified.
The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search and Alvarez is presumed dead.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump leads aggressive, all-out GOP drive to save Kavanaugh WATCH
- Kavanaugh’s yearbook page is ‘horrible, hurtful’ to a woman it named
- Coddling parents of Chinese college students stay close by in ‘tents of love’
- 'How'd you find me?': Kavanaugh friend Mark Judge has been holed up in a beach house amid media firestorm
- Cosby in cuffs: TV star gets 3 to 10 years for sex assault VIEW
Witnesses told police that Alvarez went over a sea wall to look at the big waves from a storm. He was then swept off the rocks.