DEPOE BAY, Ore. (AP) — Authorities have identified a man swept out to sea by big waves from a storm at Depoe Bay.
Oregon State Police on Friday identified 46-year-old Jose Alfredo Rodriguez Alvarez swept from shore at about 11:20 a.m. Thursday.
Authorities say Alvarez was living in Newport but was from Mexico. The Mexican Consulate says Alvarez’s family in Mexico has been notified.
The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search and Alvarez is presumed dead.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- CNN's Acosta back at White House after judge's ruling VIEW
- Inmate's last words: 'Is it supposed to feel like that?'
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH
- CIA concludes Saudi crown prince ordered Khashoggi's assassination
Witnesses told police that Alvarez went over a sea wall to look at the big waves from a storm. He was then swept off the rocks.