DEPOE BAY, Ore. (AP) — Authorities have identified a man swept out to sea by big waves from a storm at Depoe Bay.
Oregon State Police on Friday identified 46-year-old Jose Alfredo Rodriguez Alvarez swept from shore at about 11:20 a.m. Thursday.
Authorities say Alvarez was living in Newport but was from Mexico. The Mexican Consulate says Alvarez’s family in Mexico has been notified.
The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search and Alvarez is presumed dead.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Why did a Russian pay $95M to buy Trump’s Palm Beach mansion?
- L.A. Times restaurant critic Jonathan Gold loved food and his city, was beloved by readers
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Documents used to wiretap Trump ex-adviser Carter Page disclosed
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
Witnesses told police that Alvarez went over a sea wall to look at the big waves from a storm. He was then swept off the rocks.