SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — In a story Feb. 27 about a fatal shooting at Savannah State University, The Associated Press reported erroneously that victim Kaleel Clarke faced charges. Phillip Burke faced charges.
A corrected version of the story is below:
Authorities ID shooter, man killed at college in Georgia
Authorities say a man who killed another man in a shooting at a college in southeast Georgia have both been identified
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The little-noticed surge across the U.S.-Mexico border: Americans heading south VIEW
- Judge sides with Congress over Trump in demands for records
- Jamie Oliver's UK restaurant chain collapses into insolvency
- Should Donald Trump be impeached? Americans organize to read Mueller report, reach their own conclusions
- How the rural-urban divide became America’s political fault line
SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — Authorities have identified a man who killed another man in a shooting at a college in southeast Georgia and the victim.
Savannah State University tells news outlets in a statement that 19-year-old Phillip Burke was arrested Sunday in the shooting that killed 20-year-old Kaleel Clarke on the school’s campus Saturday afternoon. University police Chief James Barnwell says neither Clarke or Burke were students.
The university says Clarke suffered several gunshot wounds and died at a hospital. Barnwell credits the suspect’s identification to new enhancements of campus surveillance systems and a new school safety app called LiveSafe.
WSAV reports Burke faces murder charges.
Authorities continue to investigate.