COLUMBUS, Ga. (AP) — Authorities in Georgia say a homeless man who was strangled by another homeless man during a fight earlier this month has died.
Muscogee County Coroner Buddy Bryan tells news outlets 31-year-old Timothy Paschal died at a hospital Wednesday. Columbus police Detective Darrell Middlebrooks says on May 11, 34-year-old Donald Butler struck Paschal four times and put him in a submission hold until he lost consciousness.
Butler was charged with aggravated assault and appeared Thursday in Columbus Recorder’s Court. Middlebrooks also told the court that Butler will likely be charged with murder pending an autopsy’s results.
Judge Julius Hunter ordered Butler held without bond and sent the case to Columbus Superior Court, based on a prior aggravated assault conviction. He also ordered Butler to undergo a mental evaluation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hawaii authorities say 33 swimmers were harassing dolphins WATCH
- Probiotic supplements may do the opposite of boosting your gut health
- California reparations amount, if any, left to politicians
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- ‘We’re going away’: A state’s choice to forgo Medicaid funds is killing hospitals VIEW
It is unclear if Butler has a lawyer.