BERLIN (AP) — Police in Austria say a woman has been arrested for allegedly suffocating her 8-month-old son in a Vienna hospital.
Vienna police said Saturday that the suffocation took place Wednesday in a room at the hospital where the 37-year-old mother and her baby had been admitted.
A police statement issued Saturday said the mother then fled and tried to kill herself.
The statement from Vienna police said the “obviously mentally ill” woman was arrested on suspicion of murder and taken to a secure psychiatric unit.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The little-noticed surge across the U.S.-Mexico border: Americans heading south VIEW
- Who is Robert Smith, the man paying off Morehouse graduates’ loans?
- Judge sides with Congress over Trump in demands for records
- Morehouse College graduates’ student loans to be paid off by billionaire
- Five things to know about Morehouse donor Robert F. Smith