SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Von G. Keetch, a Salt Lake City attorney who represented the Mormon church and served in senior posts in the church’s leadership, has died.
Spokesman Eric Hawkins of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints says Keetch died Friday night after what Hawkins called a “brief and sudden illness.” Keetch was 57.
Keetch was an attorney with Kirton McConkie, a firm that represented the church, and he was the executive director of the church’s public affairs department.
He became a General Authority Seventy in April 2015. He previously served as the church’s main outside attorney.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- John Cynn claims World Series of Poker title, wins $8.8M VIEW
- Pussy Riot upstages Putin with protest that halts World Cup VIEW
- Arizona man arrested after trying to pull over troopers
Early in his legal career, he clerked for a 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals judge and for U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice Warren Burger and for Justice Antonin Scalia.