PIERRE, S.D. (AP) — South Dakota’s attorney general says trial dates have been set for three people charged after they allegedly aided in an embezzlement scheme that helped spark South Dakota’s GEAR UP scandal.
Former GEAR UP administrator Stacy Phelps, former Mid-Central Educational Cooperative Director Dan Guericke and former Mid-Central Business Manager Stephanie Hubers have all pleaded not guilty.
Attorney General Marty Jackley said Tuesday that Hubers’ trial is scheduled to begin March 1, 2018. He says Phelps and Guericke are set to go to trial June 25, 2018. They could request separate trials at a December hearing.
Former Mid-Central business manager Scott Westerhuis in 2015 shot his wife and their four children, then set fire to their home and killed himself. Authorities have said they believe the couple stole more than $1 million before their deaths.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Archie Battersbee, gravely ill 12-year-old, dies after removal of life support
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Russian men, dying in war, leave many families sad, angry and silent
- Key Washington primary 2022 election results
- Everyone loves e-bikes - except some who have to share roads with them