CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) — Attorney Brad Hart has been sworn into office as mayor of Cedar Rapids.
Hart became mayor of Iowa’s second-largest city Tuesday morning, nearly a month after defeating former City Council member Monica Vernon in a runoff election.
Hart says his priorities would include flood protection, affordable housing and hearing from the city’s young people about their needs.
Several council members were also sworn into office Tuesday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- Inmate's last words: 'Is it supposed to feel like that?'
- CIA concludes Saudi crown prince ordered Khashoggi's assassination
- In Mississippi, GOP concern rises over U.S. Senate runoff
- Salmonella contamination in turkey is widespread and unidentified
Hart replaces Ron Corbett, who left after eight years in office. He’s seeking the Republican nomination for governor in this year’s party primary.