CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) — Attorney Brad Hart has been sworn into office as mayor of Cedar Rapids.
Hart became mayor of Iowa’s second-largest city Tuesday morning, nearly a month after defeating former City Council member Monica Vernon in a runoff election.
Hart says his priorities would include flood protection, affordable housing and hearing from the city’s young people about their needs.
Several council members were also sworn into office Tuesday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- Man's shooting-range wedding proposal was right on target
- California parents of 13 plead guilty to torture, abuse VIEW
- In war, as with California wildfires, heroism lives next to horror
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH
Hart replaces Ron Corbett, who left after eight years in office. He’s seeking the Republican nomination for governor in this year’s party primary.