ATLANTA (AP) — An Atlanta police officer is recovering after being wounded during a traffic stop that turned into a shooting.
Major Paul Guerrucci tells local media outlets that during the early Monday traffic stop, two men exited their vehicle in southwest Atlanta. Guerrucci says the passenger shot both the driver and a police officer after the driver ran toward authorities.
Police say the passenger got into a nearby car and fled the scene. It is unclear if he was hurt by any of the officers’ shots.
The officer was struck in the arm. Both the officer and the driver are recovering at a hospital.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Biden splits from Trudeau, extending travel curbs at U.S.-Canada land border
- 16 days to die at Pearl Harbor: Families weren't told about sailors trapped inside sunken battleship
- Trans model makes Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover history: 'If you don't like it, you can go somewhere else'
- A Grizzly Bear Terrorized a Man for Days in Alaska. The Coast Guard Saw His SOS.
- Should vaccinated people start wearing masks again?
Guerrucci says authorities believe the driver was fleeing the passenger. He says the traffic stop occurred after someone called 911 to say their friend was in trouble.
Information from: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, http://www.ajc.com