NEWBERRY, S.C. (AP) — An armed man has been shot and wounded by two police officers in central South Carolina.
State Law Enforcement Division spokesman Thom Berry said the shooting happened early Wednesday in Newberry.
Berry said the officers heard gunshots and found a man on a nearby street. Berry says initial reports indicate the man fired at the officers, who returned fire.
Berry said the man was taken to a hospital for treatment of injuries that did not appear to be life-threatening. The officers were not hit.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Speaker McCarthy ousted in historic House vote, as scramble begins for a Republican leader
- She got chemo in WA and Alaska — and the price difference was a whopper
- Here's where all the cases against Trump stand as he campaigns for a return to the White House
- 28 years ago, a book club began reading a novel. It's finally reached the end
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
The names of those involved weren’t immediately released.
SLED is investigating the shooting.
Berry said both the suspect and the two officers are white.