West Memphis, Ark. (AP) — An off-duty Arkansas police officer has been fatally shot inside his home.
Forrest City police spokesman Lt. Eric Varner told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette that the officer was shot inside his apartment at a complex in West Memphis.
The name of the officer was not immediately released.
Capt. Joe Baker, a spokesman for West Memphis police, says it does not appear the officer was the intended target of the shooting and that a group of people were firing shots outside his apartment.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Clu Gulager, rugged character actor of film and TV, dies at 93
- Russian men, dying in war, leave many families sad, angry and silent
- Flooding washes away Kentucky coal country stalwarts
Baker says the officer was struck once in his upper torso by an errant bullet.
Information from: Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, http://www.arkansasonline.com