MOUNTAIN VIEW, Ark. (AP) — Authorities in rural Arkansas say a homeowner has shot and killed a suspected intruder.
The Stone County Sheriff’s Office says deputies were dispatched to a residence shortly after 12:10 a.m. Friday following reports of an armed and intoxicated person making threats. Minutes later, a sheriff’s office dispatcher reported that shots had been fired as the caller spoke over the phone.
Deputies found an open door at the residence and a man lying on the floor with a rifle next to him. The man, who has not been identified, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Investigators later determined that the man had unlawfully entered the home armed with a weapon and was confronted by the homeowner.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- You had breakthrough COVID. Can you start living like it’s 2019?
- US charges Belarus with air piracy in reporter's arrest
- Much of nation isn't active enough — but WA residents are exception, CDC says
- McConnell: Black people vote at similar rates to 'Americans'
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
The shooting remains under investigation.