ROMANCE, Ark. (AP) — Authorities in Arkansas say deputies have fatally shot a man suspected in a double slaying.
The deaths happened Monday near the small town of Romance, about 35 miles (56 kilometers) northeast of Little Rock. White County Sheriff’s Chief Deputy Phillip Miller says authorities responding to a possible shooting found 45-year-old Starla Exum dead. A second person, 54-year-old Timmy Dickson, had been wounded and died on the way to a hospital.
Miller says deputies found the suspect, identified as 42-year-old Archie Lawhon III, on the property. Miller says Lawhon pointed a gun at them and multiple deputies opened fire, killing him.
Arkansas State Police are investigating the shooting involving the officers and local authorities are investigating the earlier shootings. Miller says it’s not yet clear what led to the double killing.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- She moved to the opposite coast, but past catches up to Kavanaugh accuser
- As Senate hearing set for Kavanaugh, new accuser emerges VIEW
- Democrats know of second Kavanaugh accuser, New Yorker magazine reports
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- Coddling parents of Chinese college students stay close by in ‘tents of love’