ROMANCE, Ark. (AP) — Authorities in Arkansas say deputies have fatally shot a man suspected in a double slaying.
The deaths happened Monday near the small town of Romance, about 35 miles (56 kilometers) northeast of Little Rock. White County Sheriff’s Chief Deputy Phillip Miller says authorities responding to a possible shooting found 45-year-old Starla Exum dead. A second person, 54-year-old Timmy Dickson, had been wounded and died on the way to a hospital.
Miller says deputies found the suspect, identified as 42-year-old Archie Lawhon III, on the property. Miller says Lawhon pointed a gun at them and multiple deputies opened fire, killing him.
Arkansas State Police are investigating the shooting involving the officers and local authorities are investigating the earlier shootings. Miller says it’s not yet clear what led to the double killing.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- 'I believed we were going to die': An elevator in a Chicago skyscraper fell 84 floors, requiring a dramatic rescue of six people
- Anti-vaccination stronghold in North Carolina hit with state's worst chickenpox outbreak in 2 decades
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- Couple killed in crash driving to their wedding
- CNN drops suit against White House after Jim Acosta's press pass is fully restored