LONDON (AP) — The Archbishop of Canterbury says he doesn’t understand why so many Christians in the U.S. support President Donald Trump.
Justin Welby told ITV’s Preston on Sunday program that he “really genuinely” can’t comprehend why fundamentalists have provided such a strong base for Trump.
Welby did say he would be willing to attend a state dinner in Trump’s honor if the president comes to Britain on an official visit.
He said part of his job is to meet with people he disagrees with “and to testify with the love of Christ to them and to seek to draw them in a different way.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Part of a foot, in a shoe, spotted in Yellowstone hot spring
- Officials warn of misleading COVID rapid test results: Sick but 'negative'
- An old medicine grows new hair for pennies a day, doctors say
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Betsy DeVos compares Joe Biden touching her forehead to sexual harassment under Title IX
Trump has accepted an invitation for a state visit to Britain, but no date has been set.