TALLAHASSSEE, Fla. (AP) — President Donald Trump is giving his “full endorsement” to U.S. Rep. Ron DeSantis in Florida’s wide open race for governor.
Trump tweeted out his support for the Republican on Friday. He’s vying for the GOP nomination and recent polls have shown him trailing Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam. Putnam also has raised more money.
Trump said that DeSantis is “strong on Borders, tough on Crime & big on Cutting Taxes.” He added that the “brilliant young leader” will be a “great governor.”
Trump in late December also said DeSantis would be a great governor but that was before he had even jumped into the race. Some Putnam backers had questioned whether that counted as an actual endorsement.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump’s shifting explanations follow a familiar playbook
- In America's fastest-growing metro, a rising fear water will run out
- The coming California megastorm
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash
- As risk of nuclear war grows, study warns even a limited exchange would doom billions
Gov. Rick Scott is stepping down from his post due to term limits.