PEMBROKE PINES, Fla. (AP) — Authorities in Florida say they’re investigating the death of a toddler who was left in a car for more than eight hours.
The Sun Sentinel reports that 17-month-old Eli Bird died Friday. Pembroke Pines Police identified his mother as Emily Bird, 34.
Pembroke Pines police say she told them she thought she had dropped Eli off at day care before going to work, and didn’t realize her mistake until nearly 5 p.m. Outside temperatures were 95 degrees, and temperatures inside the car would have been much higher. Eli was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Police said criminal charges are possible. The family plans to hold the boy’s funeral on Friday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- If you think the political divide is worse than ever, you may be right
- Taco Bell loses $42 million Chihuahua ruling
- Asia Argento, who accused Harvey Weinstein, made deal with her own accuser
- Ex-Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort guilty of 8 charges VIEW
- British Columbia declares state of emergency over wildfires
Information from: Sun Sentinel , http://www.sun-sentinel.com/