PEMBROKE PINES, Fla. (AP) — Authorities in Florida say they’re investigating the death of a toddler who was left in a car for more than eight hours.
The Sun Sentinel reports that 17-month-old Eli Bird died Friday. Pembroke Pines Police identified his mother as Emily Bird, 34.
Pembroke Pines police say she told them she thought she had dropped Eli off at day care before going to work, and didn’t realize her mistake until nearly 5 p.m. Outside temperatures were 95 degrees, and temperatures inside the car would have been much higher. Eli was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Police said criminal charges are possible. The family plans to hold the boy’s funeral on Friday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- This major discovery upends long-held theories about the Maya civilization
- Saudi government acknowledges Khashoggi was killed while visiting Saudi consulate
- If you win tonight's huge Mega Millions jackpot, here's what to do next
- Washington tops all states in anti-corruption ranking
Information from: Sun Sentinel , http://www.sun-sentinel.com/