PEMBROKE PINES, Fla. (AP) — Authorities in Florida say they’re investigating the death of a toddler who was left in a car for more than eight hours.
The Sun Sentinel reports that 17-month-old Eli Bird died Friday. Pembroke Pines Police identified his mother as Emily Bird, 34.
Pembroke Pines police say she told them she thought she had dropped Eli off at day care before going to work, and didn’t realize her mistake until nearly 5 p.m. Outside temperatures were 95 degrees, and temperatures inside the car would have been much higher. Eli was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Police said criminal charges are possible. The family plans to hold the boy’s funeral on Friday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump grounds Pelosi after she imperils his big speech WATCH
- Less beef, more beans: Experts say world needs a new diet
- 2nd man dies at California home of Democratic party donor
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez vs. Wall Street: Lawmaker wins spot on powerful House committee
- Before Harts plunged off cliff, strain dogged family
Information from: Sun Sentinel , http://www.sun-sentinel.com/