BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) — Romanian authorities say a 21-year-old man has been hospitalized after he climbed onto a train to take a selfie and received a strong electrical shock.
Police spokeswoman Elena Welter said the theology student hauled himself onto the roof of a stationary train car at a railway station in central Romania early Thursday. He then attempted to take a self-portrait with the camera on his mobile phone.
Welter says the man touched a live overhead line in the process and was thrown to the ground. He was taken to a nearby hospital with serious burns and head injuries. Police are investigating.
Last year, a 16-year-old boy died in Romania days after he was electrocuted while taking a selfie from the roof of a train.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Author Salman Rushdie stabbed on lecture stage in New York
- A child abductee's journey back
- FBI seized top secret documents in Trump estate search
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events