ST. JOHNSBURY, Vt. (AP) — A preschool teacher is being credited with pushing a child to safety before a heavy metal and wooden awning came crashing down on them at a Vermont playground.
The Caledonian Record reports the structure at the ABC & LOL Child Care Center and Preschool in St. Johnsbury collapsed around 11 a.m. Tuesday.
Rescue workers say the teacher was underneath the awning with a child, and she pushed the 8-year-old boy to safety and became trapped underneath.
Firefighters helped free the woman. She was taken to a hospital with a minor head injury. The child suffered a minor injury falling away from the structure.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Archie Battersbee, gravely ill 12-year-old, dies after removal of life support
- Russian men, dying in war, leave many families sad, angry and silent
- Key Washington primary 2022 election results
- Everyone loves e-bikes - except some who have to share roads with them
The owner of the business says the awning has been removed and they’re investigating the cause of the collapse.