Police in suburban Maryland are investigating what precipitated a fatal confrontation between a police officer and a man who reportedly attacked him
SILVER SPRING, Md. (AP) — Police in suburban Maryland are investigating what precipitated a fatal confrontation between a police officer and a man who reportedly attacked him.
Montgomery County Police issued an update Monday evening on their investigation of the June 11 shooting, in which an officer shot and killed Robert Lawrence White, a 41-year-old black man from Silver Spring.
Police say body-worn camera footage shows White twice assaulting the officer, 32-year-old Anand Badgujar. The officer responded to the first attack with pepper spray. When White charged him a second time, Badgujar fired his gun.
Police say they are still investigating what initially drew the officer’s attention to White. They say Badgujar has declined to be interviewed.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Forest Service ‘legend’ among the four killed in McKinney fire
- Trump says FBI conducted search at his Mar-a-Lago estate
- How the Inflation Reduction Act might impact you — and change the U.S.
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Police say officers receive regular training on dealing with people experiencing mental-health issues and how to de-escalate confrontations.