Virginia police ID body pulled from waters off Norfolk as that of a 12-year-old boy who disappeared near a fishing pier last weekend
NORFOLK, Va. (AP) — Virginia authorities say they have identified a body pulled from waters off Norfolk as that of a 12-year-old boy who disappeared over the weekend.
The Virginian-Pilot reports the body of Davieon Askew was found Monday night near the Ocean View Fishing Pier.
A Norfolk Fire and Rescue release says three boys had been reported in distress in the water in that area Saturday, and that two were saved by family members. The Coast Guard, Virginia Marine Police and the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries assisted local emergency response teams in searching for the third youth, Davieon.
Norfolk Police spokesman Cpl. William Pickering says the cause of Davieon’s death has been classified as undetermined.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- They had COVID-19 once. Then, they got it again.
- New research hints at 4 factors that may increase chances of long COVID
- A grandma knew she was being scammed, so she decided to swindle the swindler
- Rare eagle seen in Maine, wowing birders, might stay a bit
- A New Jersey toddler spent nearly $1,800 using his mom's phone. She didn't know until packages started arriving.
Information from: The Virginian-Pilot, http://pilotonline.com