Police in a south Mississippi city are searching for a man they say shot a police officer in the leg
HATTIESBURG, Miss. (AP) — Police in a south Mississippi city have captured a man they say shot a police officer in the leg.
Hattiesburg Police spokesman Ryan Moore says Victor Kirksey was caught Monday afternoon after a daylong search. Police say Kirksey shot an officer Monday who sought to serve a search warrant on a house.
Moore says Kirksey was injured as he was caught and was taken to a hospital. Moore couldn’t describe the nature of Kirksey’s injuries, but says more gunshots were fired.
Moore says police also believe Kirksey shot at multiple officers while running away from a traffic stop early Saturday morning.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Clu Gulager, rugged character actor of film and TV, dies at 93
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Russian men, dying in war, leave many families sad, angry and silent
- Texas church criticized for its take on ‘Hamilton’
Police say the officer shot Monday was released after hospital treatment.
Moore says Kirksey faces aggravated assault on a police officer charges. He has yet to see a judge.